5 Exercises You Can Do While Talking On The PhonePosted: Aug 05 in Lifestyle and Activity by Staff
Sometimes doing two things at once can help make the time go by more quickly. If you struggle with fitting in activity during the day, why not pick up the phone and call a friend – then sneak in some exercises while you chat? It will make doing the activity more pleasant if you have the distraction of talking with someone you like at the same time. Here is a simple routine to try next time you are on the telephone:
- Strengthen your calf muscles by flexing and pointing your feet. If your are standing, flex one foot at a time. If sitting, try doing both feet at the same time. Repeat 5 to 10 times per leg.
- Now add an ankle rotation in to help relax the muscle and lubricate your ankle joint. Flex forward, back, circle left, and then circle right to complete the exercise. Start with a few repetitions and build up how many you can do comfortably.
- Bicep curl. Use a light hand weight if you have one; if not, you can always use a paperback book (Yellow Pages Perhaps?) or a can of soup. Simply hold the item in your hand and raise and lower it, keeping your elbow by your side.
- Now take the same item and raising it up over your head, then back down. Switch arms when you are ready to switch the phone to your other ear and do the other side.
- Finish with some shoulder circles to help relax the muscles.
Working to achieve weight loss, doing these simple exercises every time you are on the phone will really help you add activity throughout the day. Keep a white board or piece of paper by the phone to keep track of the number of repetitions you perform. Pretty soon you’ll be looking for a reason to call someone!