Breathe Easy with PilatesPosted: Nov 16 in Lifestyle and Activity by Staff
When it comes to success in any weight loss program, it’s important to start with the basics. Health experts say establishing a foundation for your post weight loss surgery exercise program may be as simple as learning to breathe properly. Enhance your workout by following these steps to help strengthen core muscles in the abdomen using a Pilates exercise ball:
1. Place the ball on your stomach as you lie on your back, keeping your knees bent and your feet on the floor.
2. Take a deep breath focusing on expanding your rib cage not your belly.
3. Practice keeping the balance ball from rising as you inhale.
4. While exhaling slowly through your mouth (not your nose) pull in your lower abs. Think of tightening a belt if this helps.
5. Hold in your abs as you take your next breath, filling your rib cage.
6. As you exhale, pull your abs in even tighter and hold them for your next inhale.
This exercise, known as lateral ribcage breathing, is a great way to help you strengthen your core muscles and maintain good oxygen flow throughout your body. Once you have mastered those basic techniques you can apply them to other exercise moves to improve your routine.
From time to time you may notice that you’re panting or feeling lightheaded as you work out. When this happens, take a minute to check your breathing. It might be as simple as focusing on reapplying these basic steps. Take your time and work with your weight loss team if you have any questions. Soon the process will become second nature and you will start to see an improvement in your health.
Remember to check with Dr. Bagnato or other members of the weight loss surgery team first before starting an exercise program.