The 10 Commandments of Bariatric Surgery
There is a lot to learn about life after weight loss surgery. Diet changes, new exercise habits, attitude adjustments—the entire process can be a lot to take in. There are many details about your bariatric procedure that make up the ins and outs of your day to day life following surgery, so it is important to pay close attention to all you are told by your bariatric surgeon in Macon and Albany. That being said, who doesn’t benefit from a simple cheat sheet every now and again?
As you adjust to your post-bariatric lifestyle, keep the following rules close to heart at all times.
Here are the 10 commandments of weight loss surgery:
- Thou Shall Not Drink While Eating. You can drink water before you eat and 30 minutes after you eat, but drinking water while eating can cause wash food through the reduced stomach pouch and permit you to overeat.
- Thou Shall Stay Away from Sugar. Sugar is out—no exceptions. Stay away from sweets in all forms.
- Thou Shall Stay Hydrated. You should drink at least 64 ounces of water every day. If you are exercising regularly then you may want to increase this number as necessary.
- Thou Shall Eat Protein. Protein should be consumed first at every meal.
- Thou Shall Eat Slowly. Remember to chew your food thoroughly after weight loss surgery. This isn’t a temporary rule—you will need to permanently slow down your eating habits after bariatric surgery.
- Thou Shall Take Multivitamins. The risk for vitamin deficiency increases after any form of weight loss surgery, so supplements are highly recommended.
- Thou Shall Get Active. Aim for at least 30 minutes of activity every day for optimal fitness levels.
- Thou Shall Eat a Healthy Diet. After weight loss surgery your meals should be well-balanced. This means eating protein first, followed by green veggies, yellow veggies, fruit and finally starches.
- Thou Shall Think Positively. To be successful with your health and wellness goals you need to love yourself and maintain a good attitude.
- Thou Shall Follow These Rules! These are not all of the guidelines you will need to keep in mind after bariatric surgery, but they are some of the most essential ones. For the sake of your weight loss goals and your overall health, follow these guidelines as closely as possible at all times.
Following these commandments will help you stay healthy as you adjust to your post-bariatric lifestyle after Lap Band surgery. If you stick to these rules you will reduce your risk of post-surgical complications and stay on track with your weight loss progress.