Snack Ideas to Help You Eat More Fruits and VegetablesPosted: Jul 28 in Post-Bariatric Diet by Staff
Although the amount of fruits and vegetables we need each day varies depending on age, gender, and amount of exercise, we all know that they are important for your health. Fruits and vegetables are abundant in vitamins and nutrients, which are especially needed after weight loss surgery here in Albany.
Here are a few snack ideas to help you get more fruits and vegetables into your diet after Lap Band surgery.
- Use a green pepper as a “bowl” and spoon in chopped cucumber dip or Greek yogurt.
- Cut up some strawberries or bananas and add them to a container of plain yogurt. You won’t miss the sugar from a flavored yogurt if you add fruit.
- Eat whole-wheat hummus pitas. Chick peas are very healthy, and when added to whole-wheat tortillas make for a delicious and satisfying snack. Simply bake whole wheat tortillas for a few minutes in a 450 degree oven. They will come out warm and crispy. Cut into triangles and spread or dip into hummus.
- Try making smoothies. Take your favorite fruit, like cantaloupe, blueberries, strawberries or bananas, add milk, vanilla, and ice and blend in a blender until the ice is crushed. Here’s another tip: Freezing the fruit before blending makes the smoothie extra creamy.
- Create fruit or veggie skewers. Use a barbecue skewer and fill it up with your favorite fruits and vegetables, to either be grilled or eaten just like that.
- Go to a pick your own market. Take along a friend or a family member and go vegetable or fruit picking at a local farm. Fruit markets are a fun experience for the whole family, and you’ll have some delicious and healthy fruit or vegetables to enjoy throughout the week.