Lap Band surgery is the safest form of weight loss surgery available. This procedure reduces stomach capacity without making any permanent changes to the stomach or digestive tract. LAP-BAND surgery can resolve or improve obesity-related illnesses, and has a lower risk of complications than other weight loss surgeries.
At Palmyra Surgical, Dr. Bagnato has performed thousands of Lap Band procedures, and most people are able to return home from the hospital just a few hours after their procedure.
Weight Loss after Lap Band Surgery
After LAP-BAND surgery most people experience:
- One to two pounds of weight loss per week, or eight to 10 pounds per month.
- 60 percent excess weight loss over three to four years and long-term maintenance of that weight loss.
The LAP-BAND is a personalized weight loss tool. By following Dr. Bagnato’s dietary and lifestyle guidelines and keeping up with regular adjustments, it is possible to lose more than the averages above.
Lap Band surgery offers the advantage of delivering gradual, well-paced weight loss. Five years post-surgery, weight loss results for Lap Band and Gastric Bypass surgery are approximately equal.
Lap Band Surgery and your Health
LAP-BAND surgery has a high potential for improving and reversing common obesity-related illnesses:
- Sleep apnea is resolved in 90 percent of LAP-BAND patients.
- Acid reflux is resolved in 75 to 80 percent of LAP-BAND patients.
- Hypertension medication is no longer needed in 60 percent of LAP-BAND patients.
- Type 2 diabetes is resolved in 50 to 60 percent of LAP-BAND patients and improves in virtually all patients.
In some situations, Dr. Bagnato will start discontinuing medication before Lap Band surgery due to the improvement often seen in obesity-related diseases just days following the procedure.
Quality of Life after Lap Band Surgery
A person’s quality of life is determined by their level of depression and anxiety, level of mobility, self-esteem and degree of social interaction. Lap Band surgery is proven to dramatically improve quality of life up to three years after surgery.
Lap Band surgery is associated with:
- Reduced levels of fatigue and daytime sleepiness
- Improved fertility and more favorable pregnancy outcomes
- Improved blood sugar levels and improved ability to concentrate
- Increased mobility
- Improved self-esteem
For those who have been disabled by obesity, it is especially possible to experience more happiness and a better overall well-being after Lap Band surgery.