Fight Holiday Weight GainPosted: Dec 22 in Post-Bariatric Diet by Staff
The holiday season brings with it extra opportunities to eat and, for many people, eat poorly. Holiday weight gain is not only common, it’s almost expected. But you don’t have to resign yourself to packing on pounds that you’ll have to resolve to burn off after the New Year. Here are a few tips to help you manage your weight during the holiday season.
5 Tips To Fight Holiday Weight Gain
1. Eat breakfast. Not only will eating a health breakfast help you resist the urge to overeat during the day, breakfast-eaters report being able to maintain a better mood and higher energy levels throughout the day, which you’ll need to get through all your holiday chores.
2. Drink water. Getting plenty of water is an excellent way to fight off fatigue and keep your weight in check. It will also keep your stomach full at holiday parties.
3. Avoid alcohol. Alcohol is packed with empty calories. It’s also a natural depressant and can interfere with the quality of your sleep.
4. Fill your candy dishes with healthy snacks. Skip the fudge and rum balls and set out a bowl of fruit, crackers, pretzels or low-fat hard candy.
5. Pick healthy carbs. Fall and winter months tend to increase your cravings for carbohydrates. Plan to have healthy carbohydrates around for midday snacks to satisfy these urges.
You’ll find temptation from Thanksgiving to New Year’s, but you don’t have to give in. Make the commitment to maintain your weight through the holidays and start the next year ahead of the dieting curve.