Incisionless Surgery for the Fight against Obesity
Dr. Bagnato and the surgical team at Palmyra Surgical are pleased to offer our patients an exciting innovation in bariatric surgery. The StomaphyX procedure is available for patients who have undergone a previous bariatric surgery and are regaining weight.
StomaphyX is the newest form of bariatric surgery. It is an innovative incisionless surgery. This procedure requires no cutting, so there are no staples or sutures (stitches) needed to close wounds. The result is a low-risk, virtually pain-free procedure that requires almost no recovery time.
How does the StomaphyX procedure work?
The StomaphyX procedure is performed while you are under general anesthesia. Dr. Bagnato guides the StomaphyX device through your mouth into your stomach. He then creates a fold in the stomach wall which he fastens with a small polypropylene fastener. By creating a series of small folds in the stomach wall, Dr.Bagnato is able to create a small stomach pouch similar to the one created during other restrictive bariatric procedures.
The narrow opening between the newly created pouch and the rest of the stomach will slow the emptying of your stomach, which in turn, will create satiety (a feeling of satisfied fullness) earlier in the eating process. This will help you consume less food and lose weight. For patients who have previously undergone gastric bypass, the procedure shrinks the stomach pouch until it is similar to the size it was after your original gastric bypass procedure. Once your stomach is reshaped, you will have an easier time maintaining a lower body weight.
The benefits of StomaphyX
- Transoral (through the mouth) insertion of the StomaphyX device means no incisions are required to enter the abdomen, reducing the risks associated with the incision(s) and eliminates the potential for wound-healing complications.
- The incisionless StomaphyX procedure leaves no scars.
- Because there are no incisions to heal you will experience less discomfort after the StomaphyX procedure than you would after a laparoscopic or open procedure.
- There is virtually no recovery time and no need for hospitalization after the procedure. You may even be able to resume your normal activities the same day the procedure is performed.
- The lack of incisions required for the StomaphyX procedure means that you may qualify for this procedure even if you have health risks that prevent you from undergoing laparoscopic or open procedures.
- The low level of risk involved in the StomaphyX procedure makes it an appropriate weight loss technique to consider for people who have undergone previous weight loss surgery and are obese, even if they are not yet heavy enough to qualify for other weight loss surgery procedures.
- The StomaphyX is reversible using the same transoral device.
- Because, the StomaphyX does not permanently change the gastrointestinal anatomy, other weight loss surgery is still an option for the future.
Is StomaphyX Right For Me?
Stomaphyx is an important advancement in bariatric surgery, and it may be an appropriate treatment option for you. You can find out more by contacting us and scheduling an appointment with Dr. Bagnato.